Thursday, September 27, 2007

Second Life vs. Real Life - 10 Questions for the weekend

Before leaving for a three days week-end (lucky me !), I wanted to post some questions for you ! They might seem slightly off topic at first sight, but they somehow relate to Second Life economics...

1) Do you behave the same in Second Life and real life, or do you feel different in SL ?

2) What is your avatar ? A copy of you ? Your ideal view of yourself ? A puppy ? A fantasy ?

3) Do you have control over the quantity of time you spend in Second Life ?

4) Do you consider Linden Dollars as real money ?

5) Is there something equivalent to camping in your real life ?

6) Do you consider what you say in Second Life as binding as what you say in real life ?

7) Can Second Life be a viable source of income ?

8) Is Second Life different from any other internet based chat ?

9) What if Linden Lab decided to shut Second Life down tomorrow ?

10) Do you have true friends in Second Life ?

I will give you my own answers in a later post, and I'm really interested in yours. Feel free to answer one, several or all of these questions in your comments...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1) I try to behave the same, except when deliberately in a roleplay sim. I do, however, find it easier to start conversations with strangers in SL.

2) I looked for an avatar that would be a slightly thinner copy of me, but had to settle for the nicest free shape & skin I could find. After only 2 or 3 months, I now think of it as me, and would find it difficult to change.

3) I do not have complete control of quantity of time in SL as I find I need to sleep, eat and interact with my family sometimes.

4) I consider Linden dollars as real money, but separate from RL money.

5) No; only in SL does anyone pay me really hoping that I will do nothing.

6) Yes, I consider my word as binding in SL and RL. Even when I roleplay this is true.

7) I know that SL can be a viable source of income. I have a real life friend who is a part-time student and quit his part-time job because he was making enough. I don't think it's common, and it's not something I'm actively seeking myself. I just want it to pay for itself.

8) It is different from chat, yes, because you and the person with whom you're talking experience a third party world in which you're immersed. I have been on many text-based virtual worlds however, that were not as different.

9) If SL were shut down tomorrow, I'd be sad, but not devastated. I would have a hard time in investing time and energy in a new virtual reality though.

10) Yes, I do have RL friends that I've met in SL and SL people that I think are becoming friends.