Monday, September 17, 2007

How to Find Good Camping in Second Life Part II

In a previous post, I explained my startegy to manage a good campsites lists, so as not to loose time with no campsite available, and how to check if a campsite is good or not. So now, it's time to answer the key question: how to find campsites ?

The first method is quite obvious: use the "Search" feature of the Second Life client. Just click on "Search", then select the "Places" tab, and use a good keyword. You can get good results with keywords like:
  • camping
  • dancepad
  • dancing
  • camp
  • free money
  • free linden
  • camp master
Before going to one of the places you found, just have a short look to its description and traffic.

Another source of good campsites is the tons of landmak that other people are distributing on campsites. In popular campsites like Apfelland or Newt, you frequently receive landmarks while camping. I systematically accept all of them, and take some time to check them while searching for new campsites.

Finally, I get many good campsites via the "Free Money from JohnLight Raymaker" group, which I founded for this very purpose. Many active members do share their best camping adresses. It's very good because it's not just adverts from campsite operators, but from fellow campers proud to share their adress book !

To summarize, I get campsite adresses using searches, landmarks distributed while I do camp, and from the group. As in real life, it's all about of getting the good connections !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this series. I wonder if you might look up some campsite owners and interview them... why do they pay campers? What do they get out of it? I heard somewhere that their site's popularity gets them a discount on tier payments, but I've never had that corroborated and never heard any amounts mentioned... It'd be interesting to know more about the economics and to hear whether and why camp owners really care if we're paying attention or away from our keyboards.

JohnLight Raymaker said...

I'm glad you liked it Mr Oh as this couple of posts was kind of an answer to your previous comment. By the way, thanks for the idea.

Interview with a campsite owner has been in the air for quite a while now, but they are quite reluctant. If you jump back in time on the blog, you will find out that I've been banned from Platinum because I published a statistical analysis of their payrate !

If any campsite owner is ready to answer questions about the advantages he / she takes out of it, I'll be really happy to publish it !