Friday, July 6, 2007

To buy or not to buy ? That's the question !

Here comes a topic I wanted to post about for a while. Shall I buy land or not ? So here comes a cost - benefit analysis of a piece of virtual land.

The cost part is easy. The first condition to buy land is to have a premium account. Basic membership does not allow for owning land. The cost of a premium account is 9.95 US$ per month, approximately 3000 L$ per month. Good point is that this fee can be payed using L$, but 3000 L$ per month is more than what I earn if I respect my daily minimum. I know I earned more than that within last month, but this fee would be quite heavy given my current fortune.

Then, there are monthly costs based on the owned square meters, but up to 512 square meters, it's free. Finally, one must add the cost of buying, which depends of the spot.

One other important cost aspect is that preparing the land, building a nice place, and putting items would consume much time, which is not exactly my goal... remind the "no / minimal effort" rule ?

On the benefit side, owning land grants kind of a permanent presence in SL world, which opens some interesting possibilities, like:
1) Having permanent adverts for the blog
2) Distributing notecards to visitors on a 24 / 7 basis
3) Have a donation device / tip jar for people wanting to support the project
4) Sell items even when offline

The big issue is to evaluate how much income this could generate...

So, as this would cost me half of my present money, for an unknown income, I will probably postpone that project.

No comments: