Monday, November 5, 2007

Second Life Is a Drug

I've not been connected intensively to Second Life for the past five days, and I somehow feel in lack of it. Ok, I don't have shaking fingers, I'm not sweating, and I don't get excessively nervous. However when I've some spare time, I'm tempted to launch the client, just to check if there is a good camping spot free, or check if friends are online.

The social aspect of Second Life makes it really addictive, and this is also reinforced by the persistence. You know, you do something in SL, and leave. When you come back, the grid has evolved, you can see the consequences of what you made...

This makes it tempting to come back for a quick look... see if someone came to your place, or if your shop is doing well. Non-speaking of your L$ balance, or the value of your stocks...

Are you addicted ? Can you stop getting in-world for one day ? One week ? I don't ask you to test it, but ask yourself... and then ask yourself what you could have done with this time.

5 comments:

Dan Hartshorn said...

I think like any activity or hobby, including SL could become unhealthy if it began to replace real life experiences and relationships. Balance in life is key. It's perfectly fine for me to be completely into SL as long I don't let it interfere with RL responsibilities. For example, the other day my wife asked me to feed our one year old son, and I said, okay, just a minute. I was placing that last product in my shop and really wanted to get it right. One minute turned into about five and meanwhile the boy is hungry and my wife wasn't too happy about it.

I love Second Life and can and have spent hours on end plugged in. I script, build, socialize, play Tringo, shop, explore. I think it's the most wonderful online multi-player platform there is. I definitely need to be careful not to let it become and unhealthy addiction. Go days without it? (GASP!) Thanks for the interesting post.

Ahkums Razor
[ Blog | RSS | SLURL | Earn Lindens | Earn More Lindens ]

Roxie Wingtips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roxie Wingtips said...

I am still pretty new to SL but I do see how addictive it is. This past weekend was my first weekend in game and I did not do much in RL because I wanted to stay in game and explore more. I see how it can be addictive though as anything else in life if you let it. some times you have to force yourself to walk away.

I will confess I don't think I could stay out of SL for 5 days though....maybe 2 at most :p

-Roxie Wingtips
Blog

Ian Bakewell said...

Theres so many great things in secondlife to see and do, and its such an immersive experience no mater what you do that you just keep coming back.

Ive been playing for a year and a half almost now, and I never get bored. From stripclubs to stock trading theres a place for everyone.

I work from home while attending school, and thank god most of my systems are automated, SL takes up all my time.

Ian
Work From Home Tipster

Unknown said...

I am a fan of AFK.

I suppose it is a hobby for some and an addiction to others. I work full time, go out with friends in RL, stay with family - normal stuff yet run a SL business. Running a SL business is a rocky road mind you in itself.

I see the social side first hand through running the Club. When I said I was going to sell it a week ago I was having RL work problems people got quite upset about it and regulars offered to club together to buy it from me. I declined & deeded it to a group instead to give people full perms on the land.

SL can be as easy or as hard as you make it. I dislike chat rooms & MSN but chat in SL is ok for me. I log on less now than I used to, I used to have a permanent afk connection - that doesn't happen now as much.