Saturday, November 17, 2007

Is Camping Dead ? 1 / 500 !

I spent some time today in SecondLife, and wanted to confirm what had been said in comments about camping going down because of the new search feature.

The cause is not so easy to define, but I must say that when I went thourgh campsites I had in my inventory, I was quite surprised. Many of them just vanished, or lowered their rates. Some CampMasters were still at the same rate, but not accepting any campers.

Many dancepads changed from 2L$ per 10 minutes to 1L$ per ten minutes. This seems to be the new "standard"... weeks ago my minimum was 2 L$ / 10 minutes, but this seems to be hard to find nowadays.

One of my favorite campsite even changed its rate to a ridiculously low rate... It's in fact so low that I made a snapshot, to be sure you'll beleive me... have a look.


Beleive me, this snapshot did not went through Photoshop. This bench is truely paying 1 L$ per 500 minutes, which is 8 hours and 20 minutes ! And as you see... it's full of campers ! Either camping is dead, or they did not read the rate before sitting here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw that too, but it definitely doesn't pay 1/500. Maybe 1/500 seconds, which would be 7.2/hour. You really think ppl would camp if it'd pay 1/500? Think not, 1/20 places are usually empty.

Unknown said...

I looked pretty carefully, and I'm sure i's really quoting a rate of L$1 / 500 minutes.

A proposal of the nonsensical kind makes even less sense...

Aldon Hynes said...

The thing to remember is that what signs say camping pays and what camping actually pays doesn't always match. More often, the sign says that it is paying some good rate, but instead it doesn't pay out at all.

In the case you cited, the bench was actually paying 3/15. That is what they had been paying before they changed the sign. I checked it out. I camped on a bunch of those benches and got payed 3/15.